Well I have to say this has been quite an experience so far... I am so impressed by how quickly we were able to find an apartment and get settled in here. Fez is a wonderful place- generally we have been harassed very little despite how we are so obviously tourists. I am also impressed by how quickly we are making progress learning Arabic. We are already writing and reading using most of the alphabet, and beginning to understand what we are reading... it's slow going in many ways, but I did not think we would be at the stage we are at now for another couple of weeks.
We have a wicked rooftop patio that we discovered and will be spending time between classes up there where we can soak up some sun if we're careful and we stay out of sight-- we made that mistake the first time and got reprimanded by a poor arabic woman who was quite shocked to see me without my shirt.
The nights are so cold here compared to how beautifully warm the sun is during the day. Our apartment is all tiled and does not get much direct sunlight which makes it very cold. The first days we were extremely bundled up and walking around with blankets... we took to leaving our toaster oven on full blast with the door open which worked a little bit-- we have since bought a space heater that has made a huge difference.
We have been so lucky with the weather... aparently it's supposed to be raining- but it has been beautiful and clear every day so far. Amaaaazing.
I thought I had better cover some of the less exciting things before we tell you all about some of the hilarious situations we have landed ourselves in already.
More soon!!
No comments:
Post a Comment